Breathe In Breathe Out is a phrase that we have heard many times by our friends and family in stressful times. The reason is simple, our breathe holds the powers to ease stress. When we deep breath, it sends a message to the brain to calm down and with that increased heart rate, fast breathing, and high blood pressure decrease making body feel relaxed.
The 4-7-8 breathing technique is a breathing pattern developed by Dr. Andrew Weil. The technique is based on pranayama and it helps practitioners gain control over their breathing.
How to do it?
Sit in a comfortable position and make sure to practice a good posture. Prepare for the practice by resting the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth, right behind your top front teeth. You’ll need to keep your tongue in place throughout the practice.
To use the 4-7-8 technique, focus on the following breathing pattern:
• empty the lungs of air
• breathe in quietly through the nose for 4 seconds
• hold the breath for a count of 7 seconds
• exhale forcefully through the mouth, pursing the lips and making a “whoosh” sound, for 8 seconds
• repeat the cycle up to 4 times
Dr. Weil recommends using the technique at least twice a day to start seeing the benefits sooner.
Benefits from consistent practice:
1. Stress Reduction
2. Better Sleep
3. Reduced anxiety
4. Decreased fatigue
5. Improved Digestion
6. Improved blood pressure
7. Improved symptoms related to breathing conditions such as asthma, COPD etc.